Pages

Sunday 20 August 2017

[Review]: Period Panties by Thinx

Warning: This topic might be a taboo for some people and contain graphic TMI description so feel free to leave if you're feeling uncomfortable about this.


This topic is going to either be squeamish or interesting. Squeamish if you're a guy or have trouble with blood or if you're a girl that gets grossed out easily when hearing words like 'period', 'pads', 'tampons' and 'menstrual cup' (If you're above 18 and still grossed out, I'm judging you hard). Interesting if you're a girl who is either going through puberty or has gone through puberty or you're an attached man who TMI speaks with your partner or you're an open-minded woke single guy. We girls normally either use pads or tampons during our periods. Recently, there's been a rave about menstrual cup. I haven't use menstrual cup and I find tampons to be super mafan (troublesome). Now, a company called Thinx come up with this period panties that allow you to free bleed in them/serve as a backup for your pads, tampons, cups and liners. There's been some good reviews here, here and here and okay reviews here and here about them (and a slightly unfavouring review here). Long story short, I need to get myself some Thinx. Fortunately, somewhere in July, they were having this free shipping to UK and also a sale on the cycle set, meaning you build your own cycle set and depending on how many underwear you buy, you get some discount. I got myself five undies so I got 10% off (If I'm not mistaken). Yay! Then, Thinx decided to show up in London and I JUST HAD TO GO THERE to take a look and bought another 3 pairs (oops! Bank account, please forgive me). They come in various styles for different flow. Hi-Waist, Boyshort and Hiphugger are for the heaviest days. Sport for medium days and Cheeky and Thong for light days. I got them all (yes, including the Thong. Gasp!).


Oooh... so cute ^_^!!!!
Photo taken by me.

How it works

This is where I reproduce the whole thing from their website here.

"Basically...

Thinx is made up of four bits of tech that makes ‘em anti-microbial, moisture-wicking, absorbent, and leak-resistant. The top layer fights bacteria and absorbs any liquid into the über thin layer right beneath it, so you always stay dry. This way, you can wear 'em all day long. And no, they don't feel like diapers, and it's not like sitting in your own blood. Boom.

Yes, they are indeed reusable.

That's the point!

To take care of your Thinx, you rinse immediately after use, cold wash (waiting 'till laundry day is a-ok) and hang dry. Don’t use bleach or fabric softener! And yes, the rest of your clothes will be fiiine."

My experience

Day 1: Today is pretty light so I used a Cheeky just to experiment. My boyfriend had this Nike Night Run with his colleagues so being a good girlfriend, I tagged along to support them. Before that, we had late lunch at Bayswater then took a tube to London Bridge to go to the venue. Got home at 11. Slept using normal underwear and overnight pad.


Photo by Thinx

Duration of hour wearing them: Around 8-9 hours (Cheeky is said to absorb about 1 tampons worth of blood). Since this is my lightest day, it works great with no leaks.

Day 2: This is when it starts to get heavy. I wore a Beige Hiphugger, which has a black lining, which is really good. First 4 hours was good. I almost forgot that I'm bleeding. I literally didn't feel any soggyness at all. Sure, I felt the blood coming out but that's about it. When it comes to the sixth hour, I felt weird like that feeling that I feel when my pad is full. Lo and behold, it leaks at the sides. What a disaster. Okay, I'm exaggerating but you know, Thinx claimed that their undies are leak proof and you can basically wear them all day but at the same time they DID recommend use to wear them the #knowyourflow way. Plus, the Hiphugger is said to absorb about 2 tampons worth of blood. Sadly, I don't really wear tampons cause they're super mafan and the most successful attempt lasted 10 seconds. Thinx, you gotta come up with a pad absorbency  measurement.


It's a bit like Cheeky except for extra back coverage and the mesh detailing top
Photo by Thinx

Duration of hour wearing them: Around 6 hours. I recommend around 5 hours and change with another pair of Thinx or your usual go-to menstrual stuff.

Day 3: Heavy day for me so I was debating between a Boyshort or a Hi-Waist. Settled for a Boyshort cause homegirl wants to feel sexy. I find boyshorts sexy but they can be uncomfortable af especially when they're trying hard to be a thong, as in they ride up your butt. First, they're tight but actually the comfiest boyshort I've ever worn because I don't really need to keep adjusting in the toilet (though they rolled up in the inner thigh). It absorbs really well.


Photo by Thinx

Duration of hour wearing it: Longer than the Cheeky. I recommend up to 8 hours.

Day 4: This is somewhat medium to heavy day for me. I decided to try the Hi-Waist style. It was comfy. Despite being a high waisted brief, I feel kinda sexy (just like how I did with Boyshort) due to the sheer side with opaque middle design. I was skeptical about the sheer mesh because my experience with mesh ain't pretty like they tear easily but then again, I bought a shapewear in Bandung and the mesh is strong af. Like so strong it binds my stomach. Basically, I wore Hi-Waist for my BJJ class and I felt fine despite it cling to my body due to sweat. Other than that, it's fine. I don't feel any discomfort or wetness. I even forgot that I'm on period.


Do not fear the mesh. It's pretty strong.
Photo by Thinx
.
Duration of hour wearing it: About the same as Boyshort.

Day 5: Day 5 is usually medium to light day. It can be my lightest day as well. It depends. My average is about 7 days. I'm using Sport style which is basically a bikini style except more coverage (yay!). Since it was my light day (though I felt that I bleed more today than yesterday), I felt dry throughout the day. No leakage or anything.


Now I know why it's called Sport. It's a bit like a sports short except you know, it's an underwear.
Photo by Thinx

Day 6: Day 6 is my light day cause it's throughout the end of my period. So I decided to wear my Hiphugger (I bought 2) but decided to wear a pad with it.

PS: I didn't wear the Thong. I have no courage to wear it yet.


Sorry, sis. Maybe some other time (or not)?
Photo by Thinx

My thoughts

Do they work?

Hell yeah! I basically free bleed when I wear these babies. They absorb well and do the job. They're quite leak proof to an extent.

Will I recommend them?

Yes, for their functions. No, for the price. THINX ain't cheap, especially if you live outside USA. It costs about USD$24-39 per pair, depends on the style. Not only you have to take into account of currency conversion but also shipping fees and import duty. I was in the UK when I ordered it. The shipping was free since I ordered it during free shipping to UK promotion but I was slapped with about 15 GBP worth of import duty.

Other than the price, what are the other downsides of THINX?

Basically, you HAVE to know your own cycle. The heaviness or lightness of the flow depends from one person to another. I may have bleed more than one person and I may have bleed less than the other person. It was super hard to tell if you're 'full'. But then again, same thing for highly efficient absorbent pads (Kotex & Whisper, I'm talking to you). Basically, just treat THINX the same like you would treat your usual tampons, pads and cups.

To a certain extent, if you wear them for too long, they WILL smell. So, despite them saying you can wear them all day long, please don't. At least, get those deodorant for intimate parts (though I don't recommend using them every single day). Also, despite them saying it's leak proof, please try to take extra precaution on your heavy days. Like they also said #knowyourflow.

There is no other place to buy THINX other than their official website. There is no other way. Which actually sucks because they can run out really fast (especially the Hiphugger) and you will be competing with buyers from other parts of the world. Bummer.

For those who are not used to it, you can't simply toss it into your washing machine with the rest of your laundry. Just don't. You have to rinse it first. You can either rinse it with just water or rinse it with soapy water. I rinse mine with antibacterial hand soap. Might be mafan to some of you. However, if you're either from South/Southeast Asia or a Muslim, it might old news for you since we girls have been rinsing our pads/tampons/cups since we got our first one. Don't worry, the blood comes off well. Yes, there will be blood coming out so be prepared to bleach your sink or bathtub or the basin or wherever you guys rinse it.

Can I sleep in it?

Well, you can try. THINX basically claimed that you can sleep in it. My suggestion would be putting a towel or kain batik on the bed as a safety measure.

Who do you recommend it to?
  • People who are willing to experiment on period panties.
  • People who already know how their cycle is.
  • People on the go
  • People who are physically and socially active (that means you exercise and go out to meet your friends often, you nasty!)
Basically, here are the pros and cons of Thinx underwear.

Pros:
  • It functions well
  • Comes in different styles and absorbency rate
  • Cute and stylish
  • Comfortable
  • It feels like a normal underwear
  • Light
  • Reusable
  • Machine washable
  • Stains come off easily while rinsing
  • A really good investment
  • You might forget that you're on your period
Cons:
  • Expensive
  • Limited colours (only in beige and black)
  • Not available in retail or wholesale
  • You can only get them at the official website
  • Non US customers will have to bear expensive shipping cost and import duty
  • Not suitable for long wear if you have heavy flow (heck, even if your flow is pretty light, you ain't supposed to wear it all day anyway)
  • Prolonged wear (ie: wearing them for a long time without changing) can make your Thinx reeked
  • Not suitable for tumble drying
  • Rinsing the underwear can be troublesome for some
  • It's really hard to tell if it's 'due for changing'

My THINX tips:

  • #knowyourflow
  • Treat it like you would with pads, tampons or cups
  • If you want to sleep in it, line your bed with a towel or kain batik
  • Be extra careful on your heavy days
  • Do not exceed 8 hours of wearing


My favourite: Hiphugger, Boyshort & Sport

No comments: